Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Some Shop Projects

Not a whole lot to show for progrees since the last posting, but I have two functional chores completed toward my goal.
When I constructed my Thein chip separator I had a difficult time, and therefore extended time in cutting the plywood circles. Used my Makita Saber Saw, and then figured out/tuned up my Band Saw with help from some knowledgeable Lumberjocks. My thanks ( again!) for the guidance.
Realized I could cur faster with a circle cutter, and used my sheet metal circle cutter. As I mentioned I cut one hole which dulled the bit. Resorted back to my saber saw.
Marc Adams of the Marc Adams Woodworking School did a two day workshop for the MN Woodworkers Guild. I purchased his set of instructional DVD’s and learned a bunch. Remembered the Router DVD. It has Router Jigs. Replayed it, took some notes, and bought some 1/4 inch acrylic from my local window repair guy.
The jig is et up with 1/2 inch increments starting FROM A 4” RADIUS THROUGH A 16” RADIUS.

Used my drill press, band saw, and stationary sander. This slow poke took a day with careful attention so I didn’t have to cut and drill a second time. LOL!
I had mentioned that I have yet to put wheels on the chip separator. That actually went well. Used one fixed wheel and two multidirectional wheels with locks.
I had originally build a garden shed for my snow blowers, lawn mowers, and I had intended to put the dust collector in the building which is about 4 ft from my shop. Realized my Delta is only 1200 cfm, and I had purchase flex 4” with blast gates. This was before I knew how much dust collectors really need to suck.

Went with my original plan and put it in the Garden Shed. I’m in the process of figuring out the connection between the two buildings.

-- Cau Haus Designs, Thomas J. Tieffenbacher
This has been a learning experience in what not to do. LOL! Saw this scroll saw for 75 bucks on Craigslist. Drove to the house down dusty country roads and I blogged earlier about this saw requiring a couple hours of fixing the clamp to see it cut wood! Then I drove home in a snow storm.
The first picture is how the saw looked in January!

The second picture is how the rusted table looked. I got some suggestions from Blackie (Randy) regarding about using apple cider vinegar to remove rust. This large table top would have required a big bucket. I figured out how to soak the table with the vinegar using paper towels and a large heavy duty trash bag. After a couple days it took most of the rust away and then I hand rubbed with cider vinegar and paper towels. Then water rinse , dry and used polishing compound followed by paste wax. Looks pretty good!

The third and fourth pictures are of the over engineered clamping mechanism. I had put the saw back together after greasing the one major bearing. ( Different from later saws which have more bearings and a different style arm and better clamping systems.
When I put the saw back together and attempted to run it up to a non vibrating faster cutting speed the clamping mechanism and blade broke spraying the little parts of this pretty but over complicated clamping system. No spare springs! I ordered them from e replacement parts and got the parts 60 days later! I used the internet to find some pictures of how it is assembled because the shop manual was useless!

The next two pictures 5 &6
show the removal of the o ring holding the bearing in required the purchase of some ring pliers and I purchased some synthetic racing lubricant and needle valve, as it was recommended in a YouTube video in rehabbing a newer scroll saw with many bearings.

I also removed and replaced the bolt that ran all the way through and shared the lower clamp space. It requires tightening and loosening two locking mechanisms but frees up that space for the clamp alone.
Picture 7 is the completed scroll saw.

There is more that I did. I asked the scrollers on LJ’s for suggestions and advise. They haven’t been down this road but made suggestions, which I appreciate. I put wheels on with castors as my shop is getting smaller with new tools and requires set up now. Bought the wrong locking castors. Didn’t lock the pivot bearings. WOBBLE WOBBLE! More cost and time?
What is ironic is it still does not work as I expected. I purchased a Craftsman scroll saw 16 inch on sale with a cast iron table and simple lock mechanism that I saw reviewed on YouTube. ( This is what I might do today after this long detour from my purpose in buying a scroll saw to begin with!
I have no mentor so I am fumbling through. Even on a expensive Excaliber scroll saw there is a large amount of drift when cutting, similar to cutting with a band saw.
Found that out from watching scroll saw cutting basics on YouTube again.
It’s not easy to cut this stuff as it appears when the demonstrators are doing it. Then when the tensioning mechanism is poor it doesn’t help. Well it’s not a big door stop anymore.
Thanks for looking and comments welcome!
-- Cau Haus Designs, Thomas J. Tieffenbacher